Go and look at the ingredients on the label of your favorite skincare products, such as lotion, lip balm, shampoo, or skin cream. You may be shocked to notice that many of the ingredients are hard to pronounce and might be even more surprised to know their true origin. When they are applied to the skin, they are absorbed directly into the bloodstream rather than digested through the gastrointestinal tract. These harmful ingredients are not only harmful for your skin but also to you overall health
1. DO NOT USE Synthetic Colors – Coal tar (petroleum) derived colors are added to skin care products such as bar soaps, lotions, lipsticks and hair dyes. They are believed to be cancer causing and may contain heavy metal impurities such as lead and arsenic, which are toxic to the brain. They are labeled as FD&C or D&C then a color and a number, e.g. FD&C Red 3
2. DO NOT USE Synthetic Fragrance – When fragrance or parfum is listed on your skin care label, one cannot tell what the true ingredients are. There are as many as 200 ingredients may be used to make that synthetic fragrance. They also contain phthalates which are chemicals used to soften plastic and to stabilize fragrance. These phthalates are used in soaps, lotions, and nail polish. Studies have shown that they disrupt the endocrine system and may alter genital development see here.
Synthetic fragrances may cause headaches, dizziness and skin irritation, rashes. Use products that contain essential oils instead of synthetic fragrances to avoid harmful exposure.
3. DO NOT USE Parabens – Ethyl, Methyl, Propyl, and Butyl Paraben are chemical preservatives used to extend shelf life and are also used to prevent microbial growth. They are known to cause allergic skin reactions and rashes. They also mimic the hormone estrogen in the body; too much estrogen in the body may result in breast cancer, weight gain and hormonal mood disturbances
4. DO NOT USE Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) is chemical used in bar soap, shampoo, laundry soap, toothpaste, bubble baths and facial cream to give foam and bubbles. Due to its caustic nature of this chemical it may cause skin rashes, liver toxicity, eye irritation and hair loss. This chemical is the same product that is used as a degreaser for car engine. It’s drying and harsh on the skin and hair and strips them of their natural oils.
5. DO NOT USE Petrolatum and Mineral Oil –These are derived from ‘crude oil’. They coat the skin like plastic, clogging the pores, hindering the release of toxins. They cause the skin to be dry and chapped.
6. DO NOT USE Triclosan – This antibacterial agent used in antibacterial soaps, dishwashing liquids and toothpaste is believed to be creating antibiotic resistant bacteria. They not only kill the disease causing bacteria that they are intended to but they also kill other susceptible bacteria. The resistant bacteria multiple and becomes a super bug due to the lack of competition. Remember triclosan is an antibiotic and antibiotic does not kill virus as found in colds and flu. Its’ use is accumulative in the fatty tissue, where it may be toxic to the liver, lungs and kidneys.
7. DO NOT USE Propylene Glycol a chemical solvent derived from petroleum added to creams, deodorants, lipsticks, lotions, soaps and shampoos. It is also found in industrial antifreeze, wallpaper stripper, fabric softener, and paint. This solvent may cause skin irritation, headache and dizziness.
Why is Healthier Steps’ skincare line different, you ask? Because all of our products are free of all the above harmful additives. They only contain plant- based oils, botanicals, and essential oils that are easily absorbed into, adds nourishment to, and hydrates the skin.
Click here to see all of our healthy, vegan, skin-care products
Currently rated by 1 people